These cinnamon roll cookies are going viral on TikTok. They are a play on Snickerdoodles with extra cinnamon-sugar pockets and cream cheese icing.
There are a couple of versions of this recipe and here I followed the one shared by Sarah Marie at Sarahkraffty on TikTok.
This recipe is a mash up between a Snickerdoodle cookie and a cinnamon roll.
From the Snickerdoodle, this cookie uses the basic ingredients to make the soft, buttery and cinnamon-y traditional Snickerdoodle.
From the cinnamon rolls this cookie, uses marbles of butter mixed with sugar and cinnamon to create pockets in between the dough that melt with every bite.
In this TikTok recipe the creator didn't ice the cookies but I went ahead and made a cream cheese sugar icing to add more of that cinnamon roll flavor.
If you would like to try some other cookie recipes, I highly suggest my one bowl chocolate chip cookies.
For this recipe we are using pantry staple ingredients. The only thing that might not be handy for you is cream of tartar but it is a must-have in this recipe.
For the cookies:
- Salted Butter:At room temperature but not too soft.
- Brown Sugar: It is the star of the show. Goes in the filling and in the dough and helps keep the cookies chewy and soft.
- All purpose Flour: I like using unbleached all-purpose flour.
- Cinnamon: Used to make the delicious cinnamon roll filling and to roll the cookies with sugar for that snickerdoodle look.
- Baking Soda: Is used to help the cookies keep their shape and not spread.
- Granulated White Sugar: Helps creating those crispy caramel edges and bottoms on the cookie, we also use it to roll the cookies before baking.
- Egg: Use 2 room temperature eggs.
- Vanilla: Adds a delicious and delicate flavor that goes well with the cinnamon.
- Cream of Tartar: Is what keeps these cookies soft for days! It is definitely a must-have ingredient in snickerdoodle cookies. It is found in the spice isle.
For the cinnamon roll filling:
Optional cream cheese drizzle:
- Powdered Sugar: Creates a smooth icing.
- Cream Cheese: These wouldn't resemble cinnamon rolls if they didn't have the cream cheese icing!
- Milk or water: Will allow us to thin out the icing and drizzle over the cookies.
How to make the TikTok Cinnamon Roll Cookies
Start by making the cinnamon sugar filling and place them in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. Ideally I would freeze them for 1 hour.
Make the cookie dough by mixing the butter, sugar and eggs and vanilla until uniform in color and light and fluffy in texture.
Whisk the flour, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar together and add it to the wet ingredients in three batches.
Mix the dough until combined.
Fold in the frozen cinnamon sugar pieces and cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
Bake the cookies for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them set in the pan for about 10-15 minutes.
Make the cream cheese icing and drizzle on the cookies.
Recipe tips and notes
On the TikTok recipe no chilling time is called but my cookies spread out more than I would like and many of the comments also noted that the cookies baked in a puddle of butter.
So for this reason I highly suggest chilling the dough for at least 20 minutes and ideally for 1 hour.
When I made my cinnamon roll filling I didn't freeze it until solid and that also contributed to the cookies spreading a tad too much.
I will also make my filling cinnamon ball half the size of what I made them. They should be about ¼ teaspoon in size.
Make sure your cinnamon sugar balls are frozen before adding them to the dough.
On a personal note I found these cookies to be too sweet so you have been warned.
If you are ready to whip up these cookies, let's go! If you make them please let me know in the comments how they turned out for you.
TikTok Cinnamon Roll Cookies
For the cinnamon-sugar filling
- 6 tablespoons butter slightly softened.
- ¾ Cup brown sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons cinnamon
For the cookie dough
- 1 cup salted butter room temperature
- 1 and ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3.5 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoons cream of tartar
For the icing (optional)
- 2 Ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Make the cinnamon sugar filling by combining the butter, sugar and cinnamon with a mixer until fluffy and well incorporated. About 2 minutes
- Use a ¼ teaspoon to roll them into marble size balls. You might need to chill the filling for a bit if your butter is too soft.
- After the balls are formed, place in the freezer for about 1 hour. Make the dough while this freezes.
- In a bowl whisk the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- Add the butter and sugar to a bowl and beat with a hand mixer until incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add one egg at a time and the vanilla extract and beat with a hand mixer until light and fluffy and pale in color, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the flour mix in 3 increments and mix until combined.
- Add the frozen cinnamon sugar balls by folding them in the dough. Do not over mix as they will start to melt into the dough.
- Chill the dough for 20-30 minutes, or if time allows, for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven at 375 Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 minutes and let them rest for 10 minutes on the pan.
- Scoop the dough with a 2 tablespoon cookie scooper, you should get about 16 cookies.
Make the icing (optional)
- Mix the cream cheese, sugar and milk and use a hand mixer to combine it until fluffy. About 2 mins.
- Drizzle the icing over the cookies and enjoy.