Blackened chicken with Alfredo pasta is a tasty spin off the traditional chicken Alfredo.
The blackened seasoning is the secret to this delicious chicken that balances perfectly with the creamy Alfredo sauce.
Blackened chicken is not burnt, is just coated heavily in a spice blend that is dark and gets browned during the cooking process.
You can buy blackened seasoning but I highly recommend you make your own.
Blackened seasoning is a blend of pepper, cayenne pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion, oregano, paprika and salt.
Most brands are heavily salted or have too much cayenne pepper. I like to make my own to have control of the flavor and spiciness level.
Tips to make the seasoning
Since I like to make this recipe kid-friendly, I go light-handed with the cayenne pepper, but if you like it spicy, increase the amount of cayenne pepper you add.
Even if your chicken is on the spicier side, the creamy Alfredo sauce balances out the heat.
The spices will toast in the heat, the cayenne and the paprika will darken and give the chicken the blackened look and smoky taste.
Alfredo sauce is an Italian-inspired recipe that is beloved all over the world.
The original Alfredo sauce consisted of only parmesan and water to make a luscious creamy sauce for Fetuccine pasta.
The American version of Alfredo sauce is made with garlic and cream. It is delicious and you will love how well it pair with the blackened chicken.
Blackened Chicken Alfredo
- 2 Chicken breast
- 1 LB Dry Fettuccine or pasta of choice
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne pepper exclude if you don't like spicy
- 1 teaspoon Granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Onion
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Coat the chicken breast with the blackening seasoning. The coating should be packed and even, this will help form a nice crust on the chicken
- Add a tablespoon of butter and the olive oil to a skillet and cook the chicken over medium high heat. About 4 minutes on each side.
- While the chicken cooks, make the pasta per package instructions. Reserve about 1 cup of the cooking water used for the pasta.
- Remove the chicken from the heat and reserve. Let it rest before cutting into strips.
- To make the Alfredo sauce, add 2 tablespoons of butter to a skillet over medium heat and add the minced garlic. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the heavy cream and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the parmesan cheese and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Correct the salt if needed.
- Add the cooked pasta and a bit of the reserved water. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the sauce is creamy and the pasta is well coated. If the sauce is too thick add more pasta water until the desired consistency.
- Cut the chicken in strips and add to the pasta
- Serve with more parmesan and chopped parsley