Oven Roasted Tomato Slices with parmesan and basil are one of my favorite side dishes or appetizers. This recipe is ready in just minutes!
They are almost like a candied tomato topped with cheese and fresh herbs. They are simple to make and require very few ingredients.
This recipe is all about technique. You need to know how to properly slice the tomato in order to keep the slices intact.
This recipe is so simple and yet the flavor is amazing. Every day ingredients make for the best recipes because you can make them any time without additional trips to the store.
- Tomatoes: For this recipe I like to use Beefsteak tomatoes which are the big, red tomatoes that you find in most supermarkets. If you can't find this variety, use Roma tomatoes.
- Parmesan: Use the highest quality parm you can pick. I love Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano.
- Salt and Pepper: Use salt and pepper to taste but remember that parmesan cheese has a salty flavor.
- Fresh basil: I love to use fresh basil from my garden because you can't beat the fresh basil aroma. In a pinch use dried basil or basil paste.
- Olive Oil: I like using a high quality, aromatic olive oil to roast the tomatoes.
How to properly slice a tomato
The best way to slice a tomato for salads, burgers or to make these roasted tomato slices is simply by using a serrated knife.
Place the tomato on its side, the top part (where you see the core) should be facing right, this will prevent that the tomato juices gush out when you slice.
Slice the tomato into equal size slices depending on the desired thickness. For this salad I like slices that are a bit thicker so they can hold the toppings well.
How to roast tomatoes
If you are making a few tomatoes at a time, use your regular oven. If you just want to make a small batch, use an air fryer if you have one, it is a time saver and energy efficient.
To get the tomatoes perfectly roasted, drizzle or spray them with a high quality oil such as extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil.
Use a baking sheet (cookie sheet) lined with foil or parchment paper to prevent sticking. Also, the thinner the slices the harder it will be to remove them from the tray, so make them a bit thicker.
Oven Roasted Tomato Slices
- 3 tomatoes
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pre heat the oven at 350 Fahrenheit
- Cut the tomatoes in ½ inch slices
- Drizzle with olive oil and add a pinch of salt and pepper
- Top with parmesan cheese and place in baking sheet
- Bake at 350 Farenheit for 15 minutes until cheese is golden brown
- Top with basil and enjoy