These Pink Margaritas are one of my favorite all-time drinks. Their pink color comes from the cactus blossom also known as Prickly Pear.
Any time I visit a restaurant and see prickly pear margaritas, I always order them.
Prickly pear has a stunning pink color and light sweetness to it. It is perfect for drinks and desserts.
Ingredients for this drink
- Prickly pear syrup: You can bake your syrup from scratch but working with fresh prickly pear is tough. You can easily find the juice or syrup in a large, well-stocked super market or specialty store.
- Tequila: When mixing drinks, tequila blanco or silver tequila is my go-to. It is punchy and perfect for mixed drinks.
- Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice: If you want to elevate your Margarita, using fresh lime juice is the secret to a perfectly citrusy drink.
- Margarita salt: You can rim your glass with salt or sugar or a mix of the two. If you like spicy, adding tajin (citrus Chile pepper powder) is wonderful.
How to serve a Margarita
This Margarita is perfect chilled, on the rocks or blended with ice. It's up to you which route you prefer to go.
The easiest is the chilled margarita, where you add ice to your shaker and strain it before serving the drink. This way your Margarita won't get watered down.
If you decide to serve it on the rocks, the drink will water down a bit if not consumed quickly. If you like to sip on your drink leisurely and like it to get smoother with time this is the method for you.
Blended drinks like this Frozen Strawberry Margarita are perfect for summer. They are refreshing and fun to drink and can withstand the hotter temperatures.
Use a quality tequila. In simple drinks with minimal ingredients, quality matters a lot.
Premium tequila is smoother and will make your drink taste so much better.
Rim your glass: Use salt, lime zest, sugar or tajin. You can also do endless combinations with these ingredients to elevate your drink.
Use fruit juice to change it up: You can make mango, strawberry or any fruit you like into a delicious margarita.
- 1 ½ ounce Tequila silver
- 2 Limes
- ¼ cup prickly pear syrup
- ½ cup Ice
- zest of 1 lime garnish
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt for the rim
- In a shallow dish mix the coarse salt and lemon zest. Coat the rim of a cocktail glass with lime juice and submerge in the salt mixture until well coated.zest of 1 lime, 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- In a cocktail shaker mix the ice, prickly pear syrup, lime juice and tequila1 ½ ounce Tequila, 2 Limes, ¼ cup prickly pear syrup, ½ cup Ice
- Using the cocktail strainer, pour the Margarita on the prepared cocktail glass and enjoy