This Frozen Strawberry Margarita is refreshing twist on the classic Mexican Margarita. Adding strawberries makes this Margarita the perfect summer cocktail.
Original Margaritas are a combination of silver or blanco tequila, lime and agave syrup (or sugar). They are citrusy and refreshing and you can't go wrong with this classic cocktail.
The beauty about Margaritas is that you can easily create new versions by adding some fruits that compliment the freshness of the lime,
Strawberries are light and fresh with a hint of sweetness and they go really well with fresh lime.
- Tequila: The best tequila for Margaritas is a white tequila (blanco) because it has not been aged, this tequila has a strong flavor.
- Strawberries: They add sweetness and a beautiful color and texture to this Margarita. You can use fresh or frozen.
- Lime: They need to be fresh and cut up to order. Nothing worst than a bitter Margarita because the limes have oxidized. Also, never ever use store-bought lime juice, it tastes like straight citric acid and that's no bueno.
- Simple syrup or agave: You can use either a simple syrup or use agave. I like agave when available because it adds a depth of flavor and earthiness to the Margarita.
This strawberry Rita does not use triple sec in the recipe. The fresh lemon and strawberries add enough layers of flavor to this cocktail that the orange liqueur is not necessary.
How to make a frozen strawberry Margarita
You have a few options to make a frozen margarita. The most common one is to use ice cubes and a powerful blender such as Vitamix.
If you don't have a Vitamix, you can use crushed ice from your fridge and use a regular blender.
I personally have a Margaritaville machine and love to make my Margaritas in it. They are like a boozy slushy, if you are a Margarita fan, consider buying one of these Margarita makers.
If you don't want to use ice, you can also use frozen strawberries to give this cocktail that frosty texture and you can always use both ice and frozen strawberries to make it thicker in consistency.
Frozen Strawberry Margarita
For the simple syrup
- ½ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Boiling water
- 1 ounce Tequila silver
- 2 Limes
- 4 Strawberries
- ½ cup Ice
- 2 tablespoons simple syrup recipe follows
Make the simple syrup
- Mix the sugar and boiling water, whisk well and let it sit at room temperature.½ cup Sugar, ½ cup Boiling water
- Add the ice, strawberries, lime juice, tequila and simple syrup.1 ounce Tequila, 2 Limes, 4 Strawberries, ½ cup Ice
- Blend well until fully combined and serve immediately