These Puff Pastry Apple Donuts rolled in cinnamon sugar are an easy fall treat that comes together quickly and it's delicious.
These apple donuts are going viral on TikTok and they are a couple of different versions of it.
In one of the recipes the apples are covered in a wet batter and then deep fried.
Why you will love this recipe
This version uses puff pastry and the apple donuts are baked.
There is no need to heat up oil and the puff pastry does the heavy lifting in this recipe.
This apple cinnamon donuts are an easy baking project to do with kids and it's a great way to get them involved in the kitchen.
Ingredients for apple donuts
These baked apple donuts yield a tender cooked apple slice encased in a crispy puff pastry. The best part is that you only need a few ingredients.
- Apples: Use any variety you have on hand. I really like honey crisp apples so that is the ones I used.
- Puff pastry: You will find puff pastry in the freezer section of a well-stocked supermarket. You will need to let it thaw for about 10 minutes to make this recipe.
- Cinnamon sugar: It's just a combination of white granulated sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Egg: We will be using one egg to brush the pastries and get that golden brown crust.
Step by step instructions
This recipe is quite simple and there are not many steps involved, however wrapping the apple slices in the puff pastry can be a little tedious.
Enlist some help and make these apple slice donuts a fun family baking project.
Place the apple on its side and cut into apple rings of about ¼ inch. They should be not too thick or too thin.
Remove the core of the apple using a small cookie cutter. I used a medium size plastic cap to cut mine.
Combine the cinnamon and sugar and whisk them until well mixed. I like to dip my apple rings in the cinnamon sugar before wrapping them in the puff pastry.
The sugar caramelized with the apple and gives it a nice flavor. I highly suggest doing this step if using very tart apples such as Granny Smith.
Lightly roll the thawed puff pastry into a floured surface. We just want to stretch it a little bit to make it easier to wrap the apples.
Cut the puff pastry with a pasta cutter or a knife into ½ inch strips.
If the strips are too thick is a bit hard to wrap them around the apple rings.
Brush the apples with the egg wash and sprinkle more cinnamon sugar on top. Bake them for about 20 minutes until golden brown and enjoy.
You can eat these warm puff pastries on their own.
The apples are tender and flavorful and the puff pastry adds a nice tender crunch.
If you are looking to make this treat even more delicious; I highly suggest pairing it with some Nutella for dipping or Dulce de Leche (Colombian-style caramel).
Storage and reheating
These baked apples are best when eaten shortly after they come out of the oven.
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
The best way to reheat this apple rings is in the air fryer at 250 for about 5-6 minutes.
Keep in mind that the reheated pastry won't be as flaky as when it is fresh out of the oven.
Puff Pastry Apple Donuts with Cinnamon Sugar
- 2 Honey crisp apples
- 1 Puff pastry sheet Thawed. Left at room temperature for 5-10 minutes
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Egg
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- Remove your puff pastry sheet from the fridge and allow it to sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes. If frozen thaw according to package instructions.
- Using a cutting board, place the apple on its side and cut into apple rings of about ¼ inch thick. You should have between 8 and 10 apple slices.
- Remove the core from the apples with a small cookie cutter to create a ring shape.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in shallow bowl.
- Dip the apple rings in the cinnamon sugar.
- Lightly roll the puff pastry on a floured surface. Cut into thin strips.
- Wrap each apple ring with the puff pastry strips until completely covered. It will take about 2 to 3 strips for each apple ring.
- Lightly beat the egg and brush the apple rings. Sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon sugar on top.
- Bake until the puff pastry is golden brown, it will take between 15 to 20 minutes. Start checking your puff pastry at the 15 minute mark. Cook a bit longer if needed.
- Serve and enjoy.