This recipe is a partnership with Maker's Mark Bourbon. Opinions are my own.
Elevate your pumpkin bread with a warm bourbon caramel sauce. The sticky and rich caramel is an incredible addition to your classic pumpkin bread.
Why you will love this recipe
This pumpkin bread is easy to make and and comes together quickly.
It is the perfect recipe for fall because it includes lots of warming spices including cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
You can have this bread pudding as a dessert, afternoon snack and even as a breakfast treat.
The luscious bourbon caramel sauce made with Maker's Mark Bourbon adds a beautiful color and delicious flavor to the recipe.
For this recipe you need some pantry staple ingredients. Everything is easy to source and a great things to keep stocked in your pantry.
For the pumpkin bread you need these ingredients:
- Canned pumpkin: I use unsweetened canned pumpkin in this recipe (not pie filling).
- Maker's Mark Bourbon: This will compliment all of our spices so well.
- Flour: All purpose flour works perfectly for this recipe.
- Sugar: We will use granulated sugar for the bread pudding.
- Cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg: These warming spices go hand in hand with the pumpkin flavors.
- Avocado oil: This is what will help us bind the wet and dry ingredients.
- Eggs: They help with the fluffy texture of our bread.
- Baking powder and baking soda: To help make our bread rise.
- Salt: to help all the flavors balance and compliment each other.
Fo the bourbon caramel you need these ingredients:
- Maker's Mark Bourbon: It will add richness and depth of color and flavor to the sauce.
- Brown sugar: The molasses in the sugar will help caramelize the sauce.
- Heavy whipping cream: To add that smooth, silky texture to the caramel.
- Butter: Helps finish the caramel sauce with a smooth and shiny texture.
- Vanilla bean: You can use a fresh vanilla bean or a quality paste.
Start by preheating your oven to 350F.
Mix the pumpkin, bourbon, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger. Cook over gentle heat for about 10 minutes until the pumpkin turns a deep brown color.
In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until they are doubled in size. Then add the oil and whisk until emulsified and light in color.
Combine the pumpkin and egg mixture in a bowl and then add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until well incorporated.
Sprinkle some granulated sugar on top and bake at 350F for about 30 minutes until the bread is golden brown.
To check if the pumpkin bread is fully baked, introduce a wooden toothpick in the middle and it should come out clean.
While your pumpkin bread bakes, make the bourbon caramel sauce.
Combine the brown sugar and butter in a sauce pan and melt over medium heat.
Add the vanilla paste/bean or extract and the heavy cream in 4 intervals until well combined before adding the next splash of cream.
Cook for about 10 minutes, remove from the heat and let it cool slightly.
Add the Maker's Mark Bourbon and mix well. Store in glass jar with a lid.
Slice the bread and serve with the caramel sauce drizzled on top.
If you have any leftovers cover the pumpkin bread with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
When ready to eat, just remove the pumpkin bread from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature for about 15 minutes.
The caramel sauce keeps well in the fridge for up to 1 week, stored in a glass jar with a lid.
You can warm the sauce in a microwave safe container and heating it up for about 30 to 45 seconds.
Pumpkin Bread with Bourbon Caramel
- 15 ounce pumpkin puree 1 can (400 grams)
- 1 cup sugar divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 1 part Maker's Mark Bourbon Whisky
- ¾ cups All purpose flour (210 grams)
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup avocado oil
- Turbinado sugar optional
Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup Dark brown sugar
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons Butter about ½ stick, 60 grams
- 1 part Maker's Mark Bourbon
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla bean or use vanilla paste or extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Mix the pumpkin, bourbon, ¼ cup of sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger. Cook over gentle heat for about 10 minutes until the pumpkin turns a deep brown color.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and the remaining ¾ cup of sugar until they are doubled in size. Then add the oil and whisk until emulsified and light in color.
- Combine the pumpkin and egg mixture in a bowl and then add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until well incorporated.
- Sprinkle some granulated Demerara sugar(optional) on top and bake at 350F for about 30 minutes until the bread is golden brown.
- To check if the pumpkin bread is fully baked, introduce a wooden toothpick in the middle and it should come out clean.
Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- In a sauce pan over medium heat melt the sugar and butter.
- Add the heavy cream in 4 parts, making sure it is well mixed before adding more. Add the vanilla bean.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Add the bourbon and mix well.
- Store in a glass jar with a lid.