This quick French yogurt cake is going viral on TikTok because it is super easy to make and it is delicious!
"Le gâteau au yaourt" or yogurt cake is a perfect recipe to make with kids because they can easily help measure ingredients with the yogurt cup, it's about ratios and not set measurements.
Why you will love this yogurt cake
This easy cake uses just a few ingredients. The yogurt can be any kind; greek, flavored, plain.
If you decide to use French yogurt, the one brand that is going viral on TikTok is "la fermière". It comes in a really cute glass container that you can reuse.
The cake has a nice dense texture and delicious tangy flavor and it is a perfect after school snack, dessert or breakfast on-the-go.
- This cake is easy to make. Kids can do the whole thing easily. Just help them with the oven/baking.
- This cake is a one-bowl-cake! You only need one cup for measurements and one bowl for mixing.
- No mixer required. You don't need to cream any ingredients (this cake does not use butter!) so the ingredients mix-in really easily.
Ingredients and substitutions
This yogurt recipe uses fresh, every-day ingredients that are easy to find in any store.
- French yogurt: I'm using the la fermière orange blossom honey yogurt but feel free to use vanilla, greek or plain yogurt. Use full fat yogurt.
- Sugar: granulated sugar gives the cake a nice spongy texture. I have not tried any other substitutions.
- Flour: All purpose flour is the original recipe.
- Oil: This helps bind the ingredients together and gives the cake the dense texture it has.
- Eggs: This is the base of the wet ingredients along with our oil.
- Vanilla extract: Adds depth of flavor and compliments the yogurt tanginess. Don't skip the vanilla extract even if you are using flavored yogurt.
- Orange zest: This helps give the cake a little texture and aroma and goes really nice with any flavor of yogurt. You can also use lemon zest.
Step by step instructions
This recipe is extremely easy to make. It is perfect for kids to help in the process because the ratios are easy to follow. You don't need measure cups with exact measures.
You only need one container to measure and this French cake is pretty much a one-bowl cake!
Gather your ingredients and zest your orange or lemon if using.
In a bowl, add the wet ingredients starting with the yogurt. Add the oil, eggs, zest and vanilla.
Use a whisk and incorporate alll the wet ingredients. Add the sugar and whisk it until it is dissolved.
Add the flour, baking powder and pinch of salt. Mix until just incorporated, don't over mix it.
Add the batter to a loaf pan and bake.
What to serve with yogurt cake
This yogurt cake is perfect with a dollop of whipped cream and raspberries.
You can use any toppings you want but any berry will go great with this recipe.
You could also add a dollop of yogurt or even vanilla ice cream to serve this cake.
This cake keeps well refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
To serve, just take it out of the fridge and allow it to come down to room temperature for 15 minutes before eating.
This word literally means "cake".
This yogurt cake is similar to a pound cake but more dense. The crumb on this cake is dense and not airy like a regular pound cake.
This cake can be made with any creamy-type yogurt including French, Greek, flavored or plain full fat yogurt.
TikTok French Yogurt Cake
- 1 cup yogurt
- ¾ cup avocado oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit
- In a bowl mix the yogurt, eggs, vanilla, sugar orange zest and avocado oil. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Add the batter to a lined baking loaf pan and bake at 350F until golden brown, about 40 minutes.
- Check with a toothpick in the center to make sure the cake is fully baked. Toothpick should come out clean when the cake is ready.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt or whipped cream and berries.