This creamy roasted tomato chicken pasta will make your dinner delicious and incredibly simple. Comfort food at its finest that is on the table in under 30 minutes.
Using pantry staple ingredients including fire roasted tomatoes and rotini. Use what's in your pantry, this recipe is flexible and turns out amazing no matter what you use.
For this recipe to be a success I highly recommend you use a high quality cheddar cheese. Forget about shredded cheese and gift yourself the pleasure of a high-quality block of cheddar cheese, you are worth it!
Pre-shredded cheeses usually have added starches such as potato starch and cellulose to prevent mold and the cheese to stick together. Pre shredded cheese not only adds carbs but also additives that can be disruptive to your gut flora.
Why should you shred your own cheese?
Buying a block of cheese instead of pre-shredded, will ensure the cheese is fresher and melts better.
Many additives in shredded cheese including cellulose; which is derived from wood pulp, are irritating for your intestines. Steer clear from pre grated cheese and buy them as blocks.
Most common used cheeses like mozzarella and cheddar, freeze perfectly so you can pre portion what you will use and freeze the rest.
What are fire roasted tomatoes?
This recipe calls for fire roasted tomatoes which are diced tomatoes that have been exposed to a low open fire flame to add smokey flavor.
They are perfect to add depth of flavor to your dishes and give them a smokey, southern spin.
If you don't have fire roasted tomatoes, you can use a can of rotel (which has chilies) but be aware that this will add more heat.
A regular can of diced tomatoes is a perfect substitute. You could also add fresh diced tomatoes but if you do so, I will add an additional pinch of smoked paprika to the cheese sauce.
Finally, this dish calls for chicken, but you could easily make this a vegetarian dish or add shrimp to make it a seafood pasta.
Creamy Roasted Tomato Chicken Pasta
- 1 lb chicken breast cut into cubes
- 12 ounces Rotini Pasta penne or fettuccine work well too
- 14.5 ounces One Can Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes, drained About 400 grams if using fresh diced tomatoes
- ½ Sweet yellow onion such as Vidalia, diced
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese About half a block (110 grams)
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ⅓ cup Cheddar cheese, cubed or shredded
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese as garnish
- 2 Tablespoons Onion Salt I like the Trader Joe's brand
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika I like the Trader Joe's brand
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado oil Any vegetable oil would work
- Season the cubed chicken with the onion salt, smoked paprika, salt and pepper
- Boil your pasta according to package instructions while the chicken and sauce are made
- Sautee the chicken in the avocado oil for about 3 minutes, turning the chicken until fully cooked.
- Removed the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Add your onion and sauté it until fragrant and slightly transparent. About 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and let it cook for about one minute until fragrant
- Add the chicken stock, cream cheese, milk and cheddar cheese
- Cook on medium until the cheese melts and all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add fire roasted tomatoes and simmer for about 2-3 minutes
- add the chicken back to the pan and mix well
- Add the pasta and stir well
- Serve with parmesan cheese and garnish with basil or parsley
Made I made this tonight and everyone loved it . Only change was using fresh roasted tomatoes in place of canned. Awesome, thanks .
Thank you for trying the recipe! So glad you and your family loved it.