Homemade flour tortillas are easier to make than you think. Soft, stretchy, warm tortillas can be made under 1 hour with simple pantry staples.
To make tortillas at home you only need flour, water, oil or lard, salt and baking powder, simple ingredients that you probably already have at home.
How can I store homemade flour tortillas?
You can store the tortillas in a ziplock bag and leave them in your counter top for a couple of days or store them in the fridge for up to 5 days.
They are so delicious that I doubt you will have any leftovers, but if you do, they are perfect once reheated in a skillet.
What can I use flour tortillas for?
I love to use my tortillas to make tacos because I make them medium size but the possibilities are endles.
If you want to make burritos, just make sure you make bigger dough balls and use a larger skillet to cook them.
With leftover tortillas, you can make chips! You can either bake or dip fry them and eat them with your favorite salsa.
Should I use oil or lard to make flour tortillas?
This question is probably the most asked question! I personally love using lard.
Lard is a type of pig fat. You can find it in your local grocery store by the specialty oils section.
Lard gives the tortillas a very rich flavor and soft consistency, if you have it available, use it.
If you don't have lard, you can use canola oil or any other vegetable oil you have handy but your tortillas will be less stretchy.
I do not recommend using olive oil to make your tortillas. Olive oil is very aromatic and your tortillas will have an after taste.
- Allow your dough to rest for at least 30 minutes
- Use boiling water (be careful)
- stretch the dough with a rolling pin in all directions to get a perfectly round tortilla
- When cooking them on the skillet, cook each side for 30-40 seconds, flip them 3 times.
Homemade flour tortillas
- Kitchen Mixer
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup lard or vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup boiling water
- Mix all the ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attachement
- Mix the ingredients on medium speed for about 1 minute until everything is well incorporated
- Remove the dough from the mixer and shape the dough into a ball. Cover with a kitchen towel and let it rest for 30 minutes
- Divide the dough into equal size pieces (10-12) and let it rest for another 10 mins.
- Press each piece flat and use a rolling pin to stretch them to the desired thickness (I like mine super thin)
- Heat up a skillet and place the tortillas for about 30 seconds on each side until bubbles start forming and tortillas get light blisters.