One of the first recipes people want to make in their instant pot is the perfect batch of rice.
Making rice in the stove top is fairly easy but making it in the instant pot, it's life-changing.
I personally like to make small batches to enjoy fresh. I only use one cup of rice which makes 2-3 servings.
What kind of rice do you use for the Instant Pot?
You can make any type of rice in the Instant pot but the cooking times and water amount you use will vary.
I personally love making Jasmine and Basmati rice and for these 2 varieties I use a 1-1 ratio of rice and water.
Here are some useful tips for different kinds of rice:
- Brown Rice: 1.5 cups of water and 1 cup of rice. Cook for 22 minutes at high pressure and allow 10-minute natural release followed by a quick release.
- Wild Rice: 2.5 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. Cook at high pressure for 20 minutes and allow for full natural release.
- Jasmine Rice: 1 cup of water and 1 cup of rice. Cook at high pressure for 6 minutes and allow for 6 minutes of natural release followed by a quick release.
- Basmati Rice: 1 cup of water to 1 cup of rice. Cook at high pressure for 6 minutes and allow for 6 minutes of natural release followed by a quick release.
Do you need to rinse the rice before cooking?
This is a common question. I do rinse my rice before cooking it no matter what method I'm using.
I suggest rinsing the rice to avoid getting the "burnt" error on the Instant Pot. Rinsing your rice removes some of the starch and allows for a fluffier texture.
Should I use the Instant Pot rice button?
I have the Instant Pot Duo mini 3 quart. This model has a "rice button" which I tried a couple of times but the rice did not turn out as I expected.
I followed the instructions on the Instant Pot booklet but for some reason my rice did not turn out good.
For that reason I prefer to follow the 1 to 1 ratio and cook it for just 6 minutes.
Instant Pot White Rice
- Pressure Cooker
- Instant Pot
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- rinse the rice under cold water
- add the cup of water and oil to the instant pot
- add the rinsed rice
- pressure cook on high for 6 minutes
- allow a 4 minute natural release and then do a quick release
- fluff the rice with a fork and serve