This simple overnight oats recipe is a perfect easy, delicious, make-ahead breakfast that is healthy and nutritious.
The basic overnight oats recipe is great for busy mornings, you can add any toppings and change it up to suit your taste.
If you are looking for more oatmeal recipes, try my Protein Oatmeal and the viral TikTok Oatmeal Bake.
Why you will love this recipe
- It's a time saver: You prep this the night before and breakfast is ready in the morning.
- It's healthy: You can add super foods, protein, you name it! This can be a complete meal on its own.
- Highly customizable: You can add a variety of toppings and infinite flavor combinations.
Ingredients for overnight oats
The most simple overnight oats recipe is basically just old fashioned rolled oats and your liquid of choice; water, milk or nut milk.
From there, the possibilities are endless. You can choose how to sweeten the oatmeal, add texture, flavor, color.
I love to add plenty of spices including cinnamon and a pinch of clove and vanilla extract.
You can use whatever fruits are in season but apple, bananas or berries are a classic combination.
- Old Fashion Rolled Oats
- Milk/water: I love using unsweetened cashew milk because it is very creamy.
- Greek yogurt
- Maple syrup
- Chia seeds
If you use quick oats, the texture will be softer and mushier as these absorb the liquid faster.
These oats are tougher and the texture might not be best for just overnight. They might require longer soaking time to soften.
Yes! these are an excellent meal prep food. Stored in an airtight container they will last up to a week.
Simple Overnight Oats Recipe
- 1 Mason Jar
- ⅓ cup Old fashioned rolled oats
- ⅔ cup Unsweetened Cashew milk or milk of choice
- ⅛ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon Chia seeds
- ½ Banana sliced
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- In a mason jar, add the oats, cinnamon and cashew milk. Stir well and refrigerate overnight.⅓ cup Old fashioned rolled oats, ⅛ teaspoon Cinnamon, ⅔ cup Unsweetened Cashew milk
- In a small container add the chia seeds and 2 tablespoons of water. Refrigerate over night.½ teaspoon Chia seeds
- In the morning, stir the oats and add the maple syrup.1 tablespoon Maple syrup
- Add a layer of the chia seeds. They should be hydrated and pudding-like texture.
- Add a layer of yogurt and sliced bananas.½ Banana, 2 tablespoons yogurt
- Oats are ready to enjoy!
Leave a Reply