These triple chocolate brownies are fudgy and dense with a crinkly top and studded with three kind of chocolate morsels.
The secret to these brownies is using malted chocolate milk (MILO by Nestle). I grew up drinking this chocolate milk and its a childhood favorite.
Using Milo (chocolate flavored malted milk) adds depth of flavor to this recipe and contributes to the incredible chewiness.
I urge you to get this ingredient. Any well-stocked supermarket carries Milo usually in the Hispanic products aisle.
These brownies are also terrific with a layer of Dulce de Leche on top instead of your usual chocolate frosting.
Why these brownies are the best
These brownies scream chocolate. They have melted dark chocolate in the batter, semisweet chocolate chips folded in and chunks of milk chocolate that create pockets of melty chocolate bursts here and there.
Also the chocolate malted milk adds another layers of sweet chocolate flavor and for that reason we can pull back on the sugar a bit and still make these brownies perfectly balanced.
Full list of ingredients and measurements are at the bottom in the printable recipe card.
- Chocolate: These brownies use three kinds of chocolate. Of course you could use just one kind but having the contrast between semi sweet and milk chocolate, gives these brownies a perfect balance.
- Milo: This unexpected ingredient is key. It makes the brownies rich and fudgy in the best way possible.
- Butter: When it comes to butter I like to use the best quality butter I can find, for baking I always use unsalted butter.
How to cut the perfect brownie
To make the perfect square brownies with clean edges, run your knife through hot water before you slice the brownies.
You can also spray your knife with a little bit of oil spray and proceed to cut the brownie.
If you have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container. They will keep well at room temperature for up to 2 days.
You can also freeze the brownies, for up to 2 months. I recommend wrapping them individually with cling wrap and placing them in a ziplock bag.
Triple Chocolate Brownies
- 1 9x7 baking dish
- 1 Handmixer
- 2 cups Milo Malted chocolate milk by NESTLE
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 200 grams unsalted butter About 2 sticks of butter, remove 2 tablespoons
- 100 grams Dark chocolate chunks I used the Trader Joe's Belgian chocolate bar
- ¼ cup Semisweet chocolate chips I like Guittard brand
- ¼ cup Milk chocolate chips I like Guittard brand
- ¼ cup Milk chocolate chunks I used the Trader Joe's Belgian chocolate bar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Arrange the oven rack in the center and preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- In a microwave-safe bowl add the butter and the dark chocolate chunks. Melt them in 20 second intervals, mixing in between each cycle. It took about 1 minute to melt the chocolate. Let it cool down for about 5 minutes.200 grams unsalted butter, 100 grams Dark chocolate chunks
- In a bowl, with a hand mixer on medium speed, beat the eggs and sugar until they become frothy and double in size, about 2-3 minutes.3 eggs, ¾ cup white sugar
- Add the chocolate mix to the egg and sugar mix, add vanilla extract, the Milo and flour and mix with a spatula, we don't want to add a lot of air to the mix.2 cups Milo, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the chocolate chips and chocolate chunks.¼ cup Semisweet chocolate chips, ¼ cup Milk chocolate chips, ¼ cup Milk chocolate chunks
- Line a 9x7 baking dish with 2 sheets parchment paper, crossing one over the other. Press sides into the corners. Use small metal clamps to keep the parchment paper in place if needed.
- Lightly spray the parchment paper with baking spray or a neutral oil.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake the brownies until the surface is shiny for about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the brownies from the baking dish and cool them for about 15 minutes before cutting.
- Slice the brownies into 12 squares