This Banana Oatmeal Bread is a healthier spin on the traditional banana bread recipe. It's made with oat flour (ground oats) instead of wheat flour and it is delicious!
Ingredients for Oat Flour Banana Bread
This recipe requires few ingredients and most likely you already have them. You can customize it to your liking by adding chocolate chips, like I did, chopped nuts or dried fruit.
- Ripe bananas: I love to use bananas with a few brown spots. The more brown your bananas are the sweeter the bread will be.
- Rolled Oats: These are super easy to grind in a food processor although you could buy oat flour if you prefer.
- Cinnamon: I love using ground Ceylon cinnamon in this recipes because it is very aromatic.
- Baking Powder: This will help with creating a good crumb in our banana bread.
- Eggs: Use room temperature eggs for this recipe/
- Xylitol: or sweetener of choice (stevia, monk fruit or regular sugar)
- Chocolate Chips (optional)
If regular banana bread is your thing, check out my classic banana bread recipe.
Tips to make this recipe
Your bananas should be pretty soft. The riper they are the sweeter your bread will be, however I like to add a bit of sweetener. Since I'm keeping things sugar-free I used xylitol.
I have a few oat recipes here on the blog because I eat oatmeal pretty much everyday. If you like to add protein to your oatmeal check my post on how to make protein oatmeal not grainy, it is life changing!
WHAT KIND OF OATS TO USE
I personally love rolled oats. They are easy to cook and I love their texture, but for this recipe it doesn't matter because we are going to use a food processor or blender to grind the oats into a fine powder.
You can also buy oat flour if you prefer, but the food processor works just fine.
This banana oat flour bread can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days in an air-tight container or ziplock bag.
If you make a big batch or want to freeze individual portions, this bread freezes well.
To reheat, place in the microwave in 20 second intervals until warmed up.
Banana Oatmeal Bread
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups Rolled oats (grounded into fine powder)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup xylitol (or sweetner of choice)
- Preheat oven at 350°F
- In a bowl, mash the bananas
- Add the eggs and mix with a handmixer until combined
- Add the oat flour, cinnamon, sweetner and baking powder and mix until the batter is well combined
- fold in chocolate chips if using
- pour batter into a bread baking dish
- bake for 20 minutes until top is golden brown or insert a tootpick that should come clean once bread if fully baked
Leave a Reply