This Alfredo sauce is an easy recipe that is both simple and impressive. This recipe yields a creamy and velvety white sauce that is delicious.
Why we love this recipe
Make this recipe and never buy jar Alfredo sauce again!
A man named Alfredo made this dish for his pregnant wife who was suffering from nausea.
He added this dish on his restaurant menu and American tourists became loved the sauce and it became popular.
This recipe is a classic Italian-American recipe. It's inspired by the simple Alfredo sauce consisting of just parmesan cheese, but we add cream and butter to make it richer.
If you are a big fan of the Olive Garden Alfredo sauce, you will love this homemade Alfredo sauce with heavy cream recipe.
Ingredients for Basic Alfredo
This Alfredo sauce requires only 4 ingredients
- Butter: We use this ingredient to cook our garlic and make it fragrant.
- Garlic: The most basic aromatic ingredient that will elevate the flavor of the sauce.
- Heavy cream: Adds a velvety texture and rich flavor to the Alfredo sauce
- Parmesan cheese: Adds umami flavor, saltiness and the perfect texture to the sauce.
What can you serve with Alfredo Sauce?
The most famous dish people use Alfredo sauce on is Fettuccine pasta; the long flat noodle is a classic combination with Alfredo sauce, that is my favorite dish from The Olive Garden.
But Alfredo Sauce is incredibly versatile. You can use it in any pasta shape you want. Combine it with broccoli and you have a complete meal that is delicious.
Storage, reheating and freezing instructions
This sauce will keep well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, use a low heat setting and add the sauce to a pan, add a splash of milk or cream and simmer until heated through.
I don't recommend freezing this sauce because the cream will separate once thawed.
Basic Alfredo Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1.5 cups Heavy cream
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- In sauce pan over medium-low heat melt the butter and add the minced garlic
- Cook the garlic for about 2 minutes until fragrant
- Add the heavy cream and bring to a gentle simmer
- Add the grated cheese in 3 batches. Stir well until fully incorporated
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve this sauce with fettuccine or your favorite pasta