Chicken al Pastor is the newest Chipotle flavor and this recipe will allow you to make this chicken at home.
Why you will love this recipe?
This chicken is my new favorite protein at Chipotle, so much so I couldn't wait to make it at home.
This chicken al pastor full of flavor from the morita pepper, the pineapple and the spice blend that makes the most delicious adobo.
You can eat this chicken in bowls, salads, sandwiches or tacos and it will a success any way you decide to serve it.
If you love Chipotle, try my Garlic Guajillo Steak.
What is Al Pastor?
Al pastor is the name of the marinade used to make this chicken. The main ingredient in the Al Pastor is chiles and pineapple.
This chicken is savory with a hint of sweet in the best way possible.This Mexican marinade is usually cooked with pork loin and served street taco style.
For this recipe you will need a few ingredients that you will need to source either at your Latin grocery store or online. But trust me, it is worth it!
- Chicken: I'm using chicken breast because I like the white meat better but use chicken thighs for a richer flavor.
- Chile Morita: This is a smokey and hot chile. I love the flavor it adds to the marinade and a little goes a long way. Find your Chile morita on my Amazon store front.
- Achiote seeds: This is another ingredient that you can source from a Latin Market or find it on my store front. These seeds add a unique flavor and beautiful color to this marinade.
- Guajillo peppers: These are easy to find in almost any well-stocked supermarket. They are aromatic and mild and a great base for this marinade.
- Yellow onion: Any variety can work but I like to use yellow onions because they have a less bitter flavor.
- Pineapple: Adds a hint of sweetness and helps tenderize the meat.
- Garlic: It is a must in pretty much any savory recipe.
- Spices: In this recipe we use cumin, oregano, paprika, pepper andbrown sugar.
- Lime: Adds a touch of acid and freshness to the recipe.
This is a quick overview of how to make this recipe. Full details and ingredients quantities will be in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
Start by making your achiote seasoning. Achiote is latin spice made with annatto seeds that adds a bright orange/red color to recipes.
The purpose of achiote is to add color and flavor. To make it just blend the annatto seeds, vinegar, garlic, cumin, ancho powder, pepper and cloves.
Next we will make the al pastor marinade. Start by boiling the dried chiles in water until they soften.
Blend the peppers, onion, garlic, achiote, pineapple juice and achiote until you form a thick marinade.
Cover the chicken with the marinade and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
If you would like you can add some chopped pineapple and cilantro. Cover with plastic wrap.
What to serve with Al Pastor Chicken
This chicken al pastor is perfect for tacos, I serve them with corn tortillas, onion, cilantro and pineapple chunks.
This tasty chicken is moist and flavorful and perfect to spice up any salad or rice bowl.
Reheating and storage
This chicken will keep well in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
You can freeze this chicken and just though overnight in the fridge and to re heat use a skillet sprayed with oil over low heat or the air fryer.
Chipotle al Pastor Chicken
Al Pastor Chicken
- 1 Lb Chicken breast
- 6 Guajillo peppers
- ½ Cup onion, chopped half a medium onion
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon Achiote
- 1 Cup Pineapple juice
- ¼ Chile Morita Only use a small piece
- 1 Cup Pineapple chunks For garnish
- 1 Lime for serving
- ¼ Cup Cilantro For garnish
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
- ¼ Cup Annatto seeds
- ¼ Cup Vinegar
- 1 Garlic clove
- 3 Cloves
- 20 Pepper corns
- ¼ Teaspoon cumin
- Using and immersion blender, blend all ingredients into a thick paste.1 Tablespoon Kosher salt, ¼ Cup Annatto seeds, ¼ Cup Vinegar, 1 Garlic clove, 3 Cloves, 20 Pepper corns, ¼ Teaspoon cumin
- Store in a glass container with a lid. This will keep in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.
Al Pastor Marinade
- Clean the Guajillo peppers; remove the stems and seeds.
- Cook the Guajillo peppers and the Chile morita in boiling water for about 15 minutes until they soften6 Guajillo peppers
- Blend ¼ of the Chile morita, 6 guajillos and the rest of the marinade ingredients until well combined.½ Cup onion, chopped, 4 Garlic cloves, 1 Tablespoon Achiote, 1 Cup Pineapple juice
- Refrigerate for 2 hours and up to 24
- Add the chicken to a baking dish and cook at 350 in the Air fryer or the oven until the internal temperature reaches 165 Fahrenheit.
- Flip the chicken half way through. Takes about 30 minutes depending on how thick the chicken is.
- To serve add the pineapple chunks, onion, cilantro and lime juice.
Leave a Reply