This cottage cheese ice cream is currently going viral on TikTok and it is worth trying because it is delicious.
Why you will love this recipe
Cottage cheese is one of those foods that people love or hate and it is mostly because of the cottage cheese texture.
But in this recipe, cottage cheese curds are blended until smooth and creamy and the flavor is amazing.
This recipe is high in protein and a healthier alternative to traditional ice cream.
The best part about this cottage cheese ice cream is that you can customize it however you want, add the flavorings of your choice and truly make it your own.
This recipe is pretty simple to make, you don't need special equipment to make the ice cream and it is ready to enjoy in just a couple or hours.
Ingredients you will need
For this recipe pick the best cottage cheese you can afford. I really like the brand Good Culture because of its mild taste.
- Cottage cheese: I used 4% whole milk cottage cheese but feel free to use a 2% or less if you want to lower the calories even more.
- Strawberries: I used fresh strawberries but you can use any fruit you'd like. I used fresh instead of frozen, if you only have access to frozen, thaw them first.
- Maple syrup: You can add any sweetener you'd like. Honey would also be a good alternative. If using sugar make sure to blend well so the texture is not grainy.
- Graham crackers: these are used as a toping and they are optional. I like to use shortbread cookies too.
How to make cottage cheese ice cream
Place the cottage cheese in a blender, food processor or container in which you can use an immersion blender.
Add the maple syrup and strawberries and blend until well combined and creamy.
Taste and adjust flavor if needed.
Place in a container that is freezer safe and freeze for about 2 hours or until it is set.
Serve with graham crackers and enjoy.
How long to freeze homemade ice cream
This homemade cottage cheese ice cream is perfect after 2 hours of freezing. Any longer turns it into a more solid consistency and it is harder to scoop it up.
Is cottage cheese healthy?
Cottage cheese is considered to be a healthier alternative to other diary products because of its high protein content.
This recipe is a great way to add protein into your diet and still fit in some treats into your daily macronutrient allowance.
This cottage cheese ice cream would be a great snack, post workout treat or dessert.
What other fruits will work on this recipe
If you want to substitute the strawberries, pick another fruit with moderate water content such as blueberries, raspberries or mango.
I have not tested this recipe with higher water fruits such as watermelon, tangerines or cantaloupe so the texture might be different and the ice cream might not set all the way.
If you prefer to make a plain ice cream, just mix the cottage cheese and the maple syrup and freeze.
Cottage Cheese Ice Cream TikTok
- 1 cup Cottage cheese
- ¼ cup Maple syrup
- ½ cup Strawberries
- Graham crackers for garnish/serving
- Add the cottage cheese, maple syrup and strawberries into a mason jar and use an immersion blender to mix.
- Blend until smooth, add more strawberries or maple syrup to adjust yo your taste
- Place in a freezer-safe container and freeze for 2 hours or until the ice cream is set
- Add the graham crackers and more fresh strawberries for serving