This TikTok shrimp recipe uses everyday ingredients to create a delicious meal that is ready in less than 30 minutes. Perfect for a weeknight easy dinner.
Why you need to try this recipe
Shrimp is in my opinion a very underrated ingredient. It is full of protein, flavorful and quick to cook.
This recipe uses a simple blend of spices that are probably already in your spice drawer, no fancy ingredients here but the end result is restaurant quality.
Once thawed, shrimp cooks in about 5-6 minutes. Add your favorite veggie and starch and you have a balanced meal in under half an hour.
I adapted this TikTok recipe from creator Iyore, she used corn starch in the shrimp and I've never tried that before but loved the end result.
The ingredients for this shrimp recipe are simple. You can make any swaps according to your taste, this recipe uses a classic garlic butter sauce that goes very well with shrimp.
- Shrimp: I love using uncooked, peeled and deveined shrimp. If you are able to find Argentinian Shrimp, get them, they are delicious! For this recipe I used jumbo shrimp from a local vendor.
- garlic: prefer fresh garlic and I use my garlic press to quickly mince it.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter. Shrimp are high in sodium so you need little to no extra salt.
- Oil: Any neutral oil will work, I love using avocado oil.
- Cornstarch: This is the secret ingredient and it adds a little nice crisp color and texture to the shrimp.
- Spice blend: A combination of paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt. You could also replace this blend for your favorite cajun seasoning.
Step by step overview
I bought fresh shrimp so I had to peel them and devein them. I also removed the tail before cooking but you could leave it on and remove after cooked.
In a bowl mix the spices, corn starch and add the shrimp. Make sure to coat them entirely with the mix.
In a skillet heat the butter and oil and add the garlic. Cook until the garlic releases its aroma (about 1 minute).
Add the seasoned shrimp and cook for about 3-4 minutes on one side until the shrimp start turning pink.
Turn the shrimp on the other side and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Remove from the heat and add herbs and lemon juice.
What to serve with Garlic Shrimp
This shrimp is a great addition to any simple pasta dish. This would be great on top of my Basic Alfredo Pasta.
Garlic shrimp is also perfect on a simple rice bowl or salad.I love serving this shrimp with plain white rice and broccoli.
Tips for best garlic shrimp
Using cornstarch allows the shrimp to get a nice crispy coat when cooked. It also helps absorb some of the moisture in the shrimp.
Use fresh herbs for garnish and fresh squeezed lemon juice. It makes all the difference in the recipe.
Reheating, Storing and Freezing instructions
This dish is best when fresh but will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for one to two days.
To reheat, I like to use a lightly oiled pan and medium-low heat. Avoid high heat or the shrimp will over cook.
Do not refreeze the shrimp and avoid heating it up in a microwave.
TikTok Shrimp Recipe
- 1 Lb fresh or frozen shrimp
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado oil or vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter unsalted
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- ¼ Teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- salt and pepper to taste I used maybe ¼ teaspoon of each, shrimp don't need much salt
- Parsley chopped
- 1 Lemon
- In a bowl mix the cornstarch, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.1 Tablespoon Cornstarch, ¼ Teaspoon Cayenne pepper, 1 Teaspoon Paprika, salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the shrimp in the spice mix until fully coated.1 Lb fresh or frozen shrimp
- In a skillet add the butter and oil on medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for about 1 minute.1 Tablespoon Avocado oil, 1 Tablespoon Butter, 3 Garlic cloves
- Add the seasoned shrimp. Cook on one side for about 3-4 minutes until the shrimp turns pink.
- Turn the shrimp on the other side and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the chopped parsley and the juice of half a lemon. Serve and enjoy.Parsley, 1 Lemon