This Colombian Aji Sauce is the classic condiment served with empanadas. It is tangy and herby and you can make it spicy or mild.
Why you will love this recipe
If you have tried Colombian food, you know it is not particularly spicy but aji is the exception to the rule.
The Colombian Aji has a little bit of heat to it but you can definitely control it or skip the hot pepper. The sauce will still be delicious.
Ingredients for empanada sauce
The ingredients for aji are super simple and it comes together quickly. Like any condiment or sauce it tastes better the longer it sits in the fridge.
- Green onions/scallions.
- Red pepper.
- Yellow onion.
- Salt and peper to taste.
- Jalapeño slice or red pepper flakes.
How to make Colombian Aji
This condiment is all about chopping the ingredients finely and letting it sit fora bit to marinate.
Chop the cilantro and the scallions finely. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the water.
If you have an immersion blender, use a wide-mouth jar to add the water and half of the chopped herb mix. Give it a quick pulse and then combine the other half of chopped herbs with the liquid.
If you need to add more water or vinegar you can do so before you put it in the fridge.
This condiment is similar to a chimichurri except we don't add oil or oregano so the flavor profile is bit different.
Other variations include chopped tomatoes, but this aji tends to get sour quickly, if you decide to add finely diced tomatoes you should consume it quickly.
What to eat with Colombian Aji
Aji is served as a side with empanadas, it is the perfect combo.
But some people like to add it to soups and stews for a hint of heat and the herbaceous punch aji packs.
Feel free to add it to tacos, quesadillas and any grilled meats when you want to add a little kick to them.
Colombian Aji Sauce
- ½ Cup Cilantro chopped finely.
- ½ Cup Green Onion chopped.
- ¼ Cup Yellow Onion diced in small pieces.
- 2 Tablespoons Red pepper diced in small pieces.
- 2 Tablespoons Red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Jalapeno pepper slice or red pepper flakes Optional.
- ⅓ cup Water
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients except the water.½ Cup Cilantro, ½ Cup Green Onion, ¼ Cup Yellow Onion, 2 Tablespoons Red pepper, 2 Tablespoons Red wine vinegar, Salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender add the water and half of the ingredients that we just combined.
- Blend until smooth and mix with the other half of ingredient mix.
- You can eat this immediately but it tastes better if it sits in the fridge for at least 2 hours.