This classic Margarita recipe is the most basic, original recipe that uses just a few ingredients and no Triple Sec.
The ingredients in a classic Margarita are simple; tequila, lime juice and agave.
Why you will love this recipe
This Margarita is a no-frills recipe. To make an authentic, basic Margarita drink you only need three elements; a good tequila, fresh lime juice and agave.
This recipe is easy to make, requires no special equipment and it is refreshing and balanced.
This margarita uses only a handful of ingredients. The most important thing is using fresh, high-quality ingredients to get the best margarita.
- Tequila: Silver tequila or tequila blanco is best for this recipe. You could use reposado or anejo but these have been aged and are better for sipping.
- Fresh lime juice: This is a non-negotiable if you want the best tasting margarita.Store-bought juices contain citric acid and leave an unpleasant after taste.
- Simple syrup: Simple syrup is just equal parts sugar and water that simmered until the sugar is melted. You can also use agave if you prefer.
- Salt/sugar rim: Here you can get creative and use salt, sugar, chili lime or a combination to garnish your glass.
How to make a classic Margarita
Start by gathering your ingredients and making the simple syrup if using that to sweeten your margarita.
The simple syrup is just equal parts granulated sugar and water simmered until the sugar is dissolved.
Garnish your glass with a salt or sugar rim. Use a lime wedge around the rim before placing the glass upside down in the salt or sugar so it sticks to the glass.
Squeeze your fresh lime juice when ready to mix-in the cocktail. Do not let the lime juice sit as it will get bitter.
In a cocktail shaker combine your tequila, lime juice and simple syrup. Shake well and serve in the rimmed glass over ice.
Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy.
Tips for making Margaritas
- Use fresh limes always. If not able to use fresh squeezed lime juice, use a quality store-bought juice, ideally not made from concentrate.
- Use a quality silver or blanco tequila.
- This recipe is easily scalable to make a pitcher.
Margarita Recipe Without Triple Sec
- 1 Cocktail shaker
- 4 ounces Tequila about ½ cup
- 3 ounces Lime juice about ⅓ cup
- 2 ounces Simple syrup 2 tablespoons
- Salt For garnish
- 1 Lime For garnish
- ½ cup Granulated sugar
- ½ cup Water
- Prepare your serving glass running a wedge of lime around the glass rim.
- Add salt to small round plate with lip.
- Place the glass upside-down on the salt-filled plate. Add ice to the glass. Set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker place the tequila, lime juice and simple syrup or agave.
- Put the lid on the cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for 10-20 seconds.
- Pour over the prepared glass and garnish with a lime wedge.
- In a sauce pan, place the sugar and water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Simmer without stirring for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let it come to room temperature.
- Store in a glass jar with a lid and refrigerate.
- This syrup is good in the fridge for up to 3 months.