Richard Nixon's Casserole is a 70's classic dish consisting of chicken and broccoli in a cheesy sauce that is baked to perfection.
This recipe is easy to make, you can assemble it ahead of time and you can make it even simpler by using rotisserie chicken.
This recipe comes from the Nixon's family recipe archives via The LA Times.
If you love casserole recipes, check out this breakfast casserole.
- Chicken: I used chicken breast that I cooked on my instant pot, but rotisserie chicken works perfectly. You can also boil some chicken breast.
- Broccoli florets: the perfect veggie ingredient to make this casserole a complete stand-alone meal.
- Cheddar: I used sharp cheddar cheese.
- Mayonnaise: Use your favorite mayo brand. This add richness and creaminess to this dish.
- Cream of mushroom soup: This ingredients helps bind together the casserole and adds nice flavor.
- Eggs: They help in the baking process keeping the casserole together and easier to serve.
- Chopped onion: The original recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of chopped onion.
If you bought rotisserie chicken, steam your broccoli and proceed to assemble the casserole.
If you are using fresh chicken, season it with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder and cook it until it is tender enough to shred it.
In a bowl combine the eggs, mayo, cream of mushroom, cheese and shredded chicken.
Layer the broccoli and add the egg mixture on top. Bake it until golden brown and the casserole looks set.
Nixon's Chicken Casserole review
I cooked this recipe as per the original recipe instructions. The flavor was good and the big broccoli florets added texture to the dish.
When I make this again, I will add an extra topping such as seasoned breadcrumbs or Ritz crackers for more texture.
Nixon's Chicken Casserole
- 2 cups chicken breast Shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup 10 ounce can
- 3 cups broccoli florets steamed
- 2 tablespoons onion chopped
- preheat oven to 375 F
- Steam the broccoli florets for about 2 minutes and set aside
- Combine the eggs, cream of mushroom, cheese, mayo, onion and shredded chicken.
- on a 9x13 baking dish, layer the broccoli and top with the chicken mixture
- bake for 35 minutes until golden brown
The recipe is easy to follow and the results are awesome! Thank you for bringing this old recipe back to light. Added a whole diced onion and made cream of chicken from scratch (double batch) and a cup more cheese.
My husband and I both LOVED it!!
I'm so glad you guys enjoyed it! Thanks for making the recipe.