This Trader Joe's Sweet Potato Gnocchi are delicious, easy to make and they complete any meal or can be a stand-alone dish.
They are made of sweet potato and flour and a butter and sage sauce. They are light and delicate and you can easily cook them in a non-stick pan.
You will find them in the frozen section where the pasta meals are. From this section I also love their Cauliflower Gnocchi which I make with pesto in the air fryer.
What to serve with sweet potato gnocchi
This dish is incredibly balanced, a nice touch of sweet and savory which makes it perfect on its own or as a side dish.
As a side, this Trader Joe's sweet potato gnocchi would pair with a simple grilled chicken or baked salmon and a fresh green salad.
If eating it as a stand-alone meal, I like to finish it with a layer of freshly grated parmesan cheese to brighten the sage butter sauce.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi cooking instructions
The package offers 2 cooking suggestions; microwave and stop top.
Since this a frozen product I wouldn't use the microwave. The gnocchi are very delicate and light and I the microwave could ruin their texture.
In addition to that, if you use the microwave, there is a risk of uneven heating and overcooking some more than others.
Cooking the Gnocchi in the stove top
Using the stove top and a non-stick pan is key to get the best results from this dish.
To cook on the stove top, the instructions suggest to add a couple of tablespoons of water and cover the skillet for 2 minutes (this help quickly defrost the gnocchi).
After that, the sauce should be defrosted and the gnocchi will pan fry in the herby sage butter.
Carefully flip them until they are golden brown all around, remove from the heat and serve.
Storage and reheating instructions
Once cooked, the sweet potato gnocchi is best when you eat it as soon as possible.
If you have any leftovers, store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, use a little pat of butter and re heat on a skillet on medium heat.
I do not recommend refreezing this dish.
Trader Joe's Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- 1 bag Trader Joe's Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons Grated parmesan cheese
- Add the frozen Sweet Potato Gnocchi to a non-stick skillet1 bag Trader Joe's Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- Add the water and cover the skillet and cook on medium heat for about 2 minutes. This will allow the gnocchi to defrost and the butter sauce to liquify2 tablespoons water
- Uncover the skillet and let the gnocchi and let it pan fry in the skillet in the sage butter sauce until they are golden brown about 2-3 minutes per side
- If you prefer a crispier texture cook for about 4 minutes until golden brown
- Remove from the heat and serve with parmesan on top
- Serve with chicken, salmon or your favorite protein and a side salad.
Leave a Reply