This is the latest viral salad on TikTok thanks to Baked by Melissa, who is famous for her elaborate salads including the famous Green Goddess.
Why you will love this recipe
If you are a fan of salads that are herby and have lots of layers of flavors, this one is for you.
This salad features cabbage, tomatoes and corn. It's tossed in a zesty corn vinaigrette.
This salad is bold, with tons of fresh herbs and summer staple ingredients that is worth a try.
Here is what you need to recreate this salad.
For the salad base:
- Green cabbage.
- Tomatoes: cherry tomatoes, gold tomatoes.
- Sweet corn: use fresh, frozen, canned. If using fresh you will need to cook it before hand.
- Yellow bell pepper.
For the salad dressing:
- Olive oil.
- White vinegar.
- Salt and pepper.
If using fresh corn, boil it in salted water and reserve some of the water in which you boil the corn.
I used bagged shredded cabbage as a shortcut for this salad because there is a lot dicing and chopping.
Start by dicing the bell pepper and tomatoes. Chop the onions and scallions and reserve.
In a bowl, toss the cabbage, corn, bell pepper, tomatoes and scallions.
In a power blender combine the rest of the corn, vinegar, oil, lemon juice, turmeric, garlic powder and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add the dressing to the cabbage and toss until all ingredients are combined.
Serve it with tortilla chips. This sounds a bit different but serving it with corn tortilla chips makes all the difference.
They add a nice crunch and really go well with the rest of the ingredients in this salad.
I found the recipe to be better the longer the salad sits, at least 20 minutes.
If I were to make it again I'd leave out the turmeric. I like it's health benefits but really didn't care for that flavor profile in the salad.
Next time I would leave out the green onion and just use scallions or vice versa. Both together have a strong flavor and it can be overpowering.
What to serve with Golden Girl salad
This salad is great with tortilla chips. Use it as a dip for your chips.
It would also be a great topper for fish tacos. Try my air fryer halibut if you want to make tacos.
Golden Girl Salad
- 2 cups Shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups Sweet corn divided. Cooked.
- 2 cups Cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- ⅓ cup Yellow bell pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons Chives finely chopped. About 1 bunch
- 2 tablespoons Scallions finely chopped. About 1 bunch
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons White vinegar
- 2 Garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- ¼ cup Lemon juice about 2 lemons
- If using fresh corn, boil in salted water for about 10 minutes. Reserve about a cup of the cooking water.
- In a bowl, add the cabbage, bell pepper, tomatoes, scallions, chives and 1 cup of corn and toss well.
- In a blender add 1 cup of water (corn water if you used fresh corn), vinegar, olive oil, garlic, garlic powder, lemon juice, turmeric and salt and pepper.
- Blend on high until you achieve a creamy consistency.
- Add the dressing to the salad and toss well.
- Serve with corn tortilla chips.