These air fryer smashed potatoes are golden brown with crispy edges and fluffy inside. They are easy to make and delicious.
Why you will love this recipe
These crispy smashed potatoes are perfectly crunchy on the outside and fluffy in the inside.
One reason they are viral on TikTok is because making them on the air fryer makes clean up a breeze and they cook way faster than in the oven. Also they don't require boiling beforehand!
I love adding a zesty chimichurri sauce on top to make them extra delicious.
This recipe uses simple ingredients. Quality is important because every ingredient is key in the end result of this recipe.
- Potatoes: For this recipe you will need bite-size potatoes. There are many varieties, my personal favorite is gold potatoes but fingerling potatoes will work well too.
- Oil: in order to make the potatoes extra crispy, we need to coat them with a little bit of oil. I love using avocado oil because of its neutral flavor.
- Salt: I like to use coarse sea salt to sprinkle on the potatoes once they are ready to be served.
Air Fryer Instructions
Here is a quick overview of how to make these air fryer potatoes.
Start by rinsing the potatoes and drying them throughly.
Spray them with avocado oil and place them in the air fryer. Do not peel them or cut them.
After they are roasted, allow them to cool down for a few minutes until they are safe to handle.
With a wood board or a plate, using light pressure, smash them so they retain their form. They should be thick but you should see the potato flesh.
If you smashed them too hard they will be hard to place in the air fryer and fall apart.
Spray them with avocado oil. You could also use a basting brush to oil them and add salt liberally.
Place them again in the air fryer and cook them again until crispy and golden brown.
Use a spatula to remove them from the air fryer, add more salt if needed and serve them. I love to use chimichurri or a spicy mayo to dip them.
What to serve with smashed potatoes
These are a great easy side dish that you can pair with your favorite chicken or steak.
Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your air fryer to 350°F
- Wash and dry the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket and spray them with avocado oil.
- Cook the potatoes for 15-20 minutes or until they are tender and crispy.
- Remove the potatoes from the air fryer and gently smash them with a plate.
- Place the smashed potatoes back in the air fryer basket and cook for an additional 4-6 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with chimichurri or spicy mayo